March 23, 2014

Tips For Job Searching

source
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to dishing out advice on interviews and job searching. But seeing as how I just finished a long period of time of doing both, I thought I might share some insight I gained.

1. Informational Interviews and Networking

I found that my informational interviews to be far more beneficial than networking, but both are a great tool. Informational interviews are so helpful, especially when you are starting out in your career and you don't know what you want to do quite yet. Networking is the best way to set yourself apart from the crowd of applicants because when a person knows who you are, they will remember you when they hear of a job opening. It's best to stay in occasional contact the people you network and informational interview with and to constantly thank them for their help. I actually became friends with my first informational interviewer and credit her for helping me land my new job as she was the one who recommended me!



2. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare

You got the interview, now do your research on the company. Write down questions you expect to be asked and your answers to them. I find writing it down and then reading and rereading the days leading up to the interview the best way to help me remember what I want to say about myself and keeps my answers short and to the point when in the interview. I used The Prepary  when preparing myself for questions that might be asked and found it extremely helpful.

3. Always Overdress

Even if the company that you are interviewing for is casual, it is better to dress professionally than business casual. Either a sharp suit, or, if the place is not that strict with the dress code, a professional dress and blazer. Double check the little details - no holes or runs in your stockings, no scuffs in your shoes, and a neat handbag.

4. Thank You Notes and Follow Up

The day after your interview, write a short and sweet professional thank you email and a brief paragraph about why you think you're a good fit for the position.If you can, try to mention something that was said in the interview. Also consider sending a short handwritten thank you note. If I don't hear back from the company right away (usually you never do), I wait two weeks to the day to call or email the HR manager. You can find great examples of thank you and follow up emails by Googling those keywords.

As a side note, I also really love reading the career profiles that are featured on The Everygirl. They help keep me motivated and inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment