April 22, 2013

Weekend Recap: Nai Tapas Bar

To celebrate my friend's 23rd birthday, we all met up on Saturday night at Nai Tapas Bar for tapas and flamenco dancing. Tapas are a Spanish cuisine (they were all I ate when I traveled to Barcelona two years ago) that are eaten as snacks or appetizers but can be combined to form  full meal. "The serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation because people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal that is set before them." We ordered a bunch of tapas (my favorite was the chicken potato croquette though everything was delicious,) and two pitchers of sangria (sangre means blood in Spanish - used because of the drink's dark color.)
The flamenco dancing was amazing - sitting at the back of the table, I had to awkwardly crane my neck around to see the dancer's feet but it was worth it because it's incredible to see how fast their feet move. Flamenco includes four parts: singing, guitar playing, dancing, and handclapping. One thing I noticed was how the dancers looked down - I've been told countless times (when I was on the ballroom team and kickline dance in college) that it was necessary to look up so I though it interesting that these two flamenco dancers kept their gaze down.

No comments:

Post a Comment